Sunday, August 1, 2010

Stravinsky: Le Sacre du Printemps, L'oiseau de feu, u.a.

I feel this music more as being incidental... or spatial. It is more of sensation evocation, rather than emotions... more a music for the skin, than a music for the heart or mind.
In an earlier version of this same post I wrote

I (ashamed to confess, as usual :*(  ) did not find a particular connection to Le Sacre du Printemps. Conversely, I even feel relieved when I listened to L'oiseau de feu. Perhaps my still unsophisticated (although improving) ear still cherishes the comfort of acquaintance to a particular work.
I can say now, several months later that I enjoy it and anticipate listening to it. I have to say that I needed to watch a TV documentary that explained the Rite of Spring to the broad audience, in order to enjoy the deliberate inebriatedness of the work. I still will have to contrast this version to Maazel's with the Radio Symphonie Orchester Berlin.

Claudio Abbado conducts the London Symphony Orchestra in this Deutsche Grammophon CD. With Teresa Berganza, mezzo-soprano; Ryland Davies, tenor; John Shirley-Quirk, bass


Name Key PartMusicians Observations
CD 1
Le Sacre du Printemps(La consagración de la primavera) Part 1: The Adoration of the Earth published 1947
Le Sacre du Printemps Part 2: The Sacrifice published 1947
L'oiseau de feu (The Firebird) Suite 1919
Jeu de cartes
CD 2
Petrouchka4 scenes
Pulcinella Balletin one actrevised version of 1947

No comments: