Sunday, August 8, 2010

Wilhelm Kempff: Great Pianists of the 20th Century


This CD from Philips Great Pianists of the 20th Century is the second of a 3 part view of Wilhelm Kempff, as chosen by Alfred Brendel, who admired Kempff.

I would have to agree that Michael Steinberg, whose comments appear in the accompanying booklet, that Kempff is particularly simple (I would add sober) in all these interpretations.

I, and now I am sure I am being shallow as my opinion contradicts Brendel's, did not like this CD. CD-2 I do not foresee me listening to, and CD-1 I am sure I can find more pleasurable (at least to my ear and experience) versions.

Regardless, this CD comes quite recommended elsewhere.

CD 1

Franz Schubert

  • Piano Sonata in Am, D845
    1. Moderato
    2. Andante, poco mosso
    3. Scherzo, Allegro vivace
    4. Rondo, Allegro vivace

Beethoven

  • Piano Sonata in Em, Op.90
  1. Mit Lebhaftigkeit und durchaus mit Empfindung und Ausdruck
  2. Nicht zu geschwind und sehr singbar vorgetragen

    Mozart

    • Piano Concerto #23 in A, KV 488
      • Ferdinand Leitner/Bamberger Symphoniker
    1. Allegro
    2. Adagio
    3. Allegro assai

    CD 2

    Franz Liszt

    • Deux Légendes
      • Saint François d'Assise: la prédication aux oiseaux
      • Saint François de Paule marchant sur les flots
    • Années de pèlerinage
      • Première année: Suisse
        • excerpts (7, 2, 4)
      • Deuxième année: Italie
        • excerpts (2, 3, 4, 5, 6)

    JS Bach + Kempff

    • Nun komm' der Heiden Heiland, BWV 659
    • Jesus bleibet meine Freude (from BWV 147)
    • Wachet auf! ruft uns die Stimme (from BWV 140)

    No comments: