Saturday, June 26, 2010

Bartók: Concerto for Piano and Orchestra #1,#2


Béla Bartók's work is always quite compact. There is no waste of space or time.
Play of the first concerto is so hasty, that I personally cannot find the subtle interpretation I am used to expecting from Pollini (and I am sure it is because of my simpleness in taste). But thankfully he makes up for it in the 2nd one, especially in the second movement.
On other topic, the swirling of the orchestra intermixed with the pianissimo and fortissimo are very well accomplished. No nice melodies, but plenty to listen to.
In the 2nd concerto, there are some nice fanfares, piano solos, and a few amenities.
Claudio Abbado conducts the Chicago Symphony Orchestra, with Maurizio Pollini at the piano.

Concerto for Piano and Orchestra #1

  1. Allegro moderato - Allegro
  2. Andante - Allegro - attacca
  3. Allegro molto

Concerto for Piano and Orchestra #2

  1. Allegro
  2. Adagio - Presto - Adagio
  3. Allegro molto - Presto
I like this Deutsche Grammophon CD in the Awards Collection series. But, I grade it lower, because I do not see myself choosing it to listen to. This shows that it is more of a priority listening order, rather than a grading per se, something I would not attempt.

No comments: