Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Beethoven: Violin Concerto; 2 Romances


I must say that I was not thrilled by this CD. I mean, the pieces are fantastic, and the small orchestration allows for details that are not usually available in other more modern big philharmonic interpretations. Like the flute in the 3rd movement that is always hidden, or at least from me, in other versions. I personally think the cadenza is too ornamented and not in the same spirit as the concerto.

Of course, the period instruments of the Orchestra of the 18th Century allow for a very particular enjoyment  in addition to all else. All in all, it is a good buy, but I had higher expectations from Frans Brüggen. Zehetmair plays the violin in this Philips record.

Name Key Catalogue Musicians Observations
Romance for Violin No. 2FOp.50
Romance for Violin No. 1GOp.40
Concerto for ViolinDOp.61I. Allegro ma non troppo
II. Larghetto
III. Rondo. Allegro

No comments: