Saturday, July 26, 2008

Schubert: Streichquintett C-dur D 956

I have to say that it took me like 10 times to appreciate this quintet. I do not have memory of having heard it before I bought it. The first times, I just thought it was a waste of emotiveness. I had to listen to it a few times, to start identifying passages I liked.
Now I can say that it is among the music that I undoubtedly had to have in my collection. In the allegro, it has stubborn repetitions with accompanying lyricism, alternations of impetus and reflexions. I particularly enjoy the tension Schubert creates whenever he wants to emphasize. Listen particularly to the main theme of the adagio. The allegretto has a playful slavic air. It becomes stubborn too.

This is a live version by the Emerson String Quartet with guest Mstislav Rostropovich as second Violoncello.

    String Quintet in C major, D 956 (op.posth. 163)

  1. Allegro ma non troppo (19'15)
  2. Adagio (14'50)
  3. Scherzo. Presto - Trio. Andante sostenuto (10'02)
  4. Allegretto (9'22)

[(blogginography note: draft initiated http://blistener.blogspot.com/2007/05/schubert-string-quintet.html)]

No comments: