Thursday, February 28, 2008

Bach: Cello Suites

This was perhaps the first CD that I heard when I started building my collection. One and a half years later, I listen to Casals again, and I definitely appreciate his interpretation. Before I thought it sounded to harsh, now, I think it is dramatic. The difference in choice of words clearly demonstrates that I have (finally) added to my criteria the intention of the performer.
Casals attack are fierce, conveying a shocking impression which fills the space. The recordings (1936, 1938, 1939) are not flawless (acoustic and precision-wise) yet neither criteria is why you would buy this 2 CD set for.
Casals definitely opened a new way of interpreting Bach, and it is completely portrayed in the Cello Suiten.








Name Key Catalogue Musicians Observations
CD 1
Suite #1 G BWV 1007
Suite #2 Dm BWV 1008
Suite #3 C BWV 1009
CD 2
Suite #4 Eb BWV 1010
Suite #5 Cm BWV 1011
Suite #6 D BWV 1012

No comments: