Friday, December 21, 2007

Mahler: Symphony No. 5 (Abbado)

After a long drought of listening to nothing, I listened again to Gustav Mahler's Symphonie Nr. 5. It took many several times to begin to appreciate it. I have to say that I am neither impressed nor inspired. But finally I can recognize the wide spectrum of emotions and scenes. From the barren fields of the first part, to the epic reunion in the third part. Both, the first movement, has a very somber theme, and the fifth one, has a light-hearted one, making an interesting transition.
Claudio Abbado directs the Chicago Symphony Orchestra, 1981
Edit: I have listened to this once more, many months later. I do like it better now. I can even say that I was awaiting to. Acoustic memory sure plays a huge role to taste (esp. in laymen, I suppose). The themes are strong and resounding.


Erster Teil
1. Trauermarsch.
In gemessenem Schritt. Streng. Wie ein Kondukt
2. Stürmisch bewegt.
Mit größer Vehemenz

Zweiter Teil
3.Scherzo
Kräftig, nicht zu schnell

Dritter Teil
4.Adagietto
Sehr langsam
5.Rondo-Finale
Allegro - Allegro giocoso. Frisch

No comments: